When talking to long term residents of Cairns it is difficult to find anyone who either hasn't been to, taught at, or knows someone who has attended Parramatta State school.
Parramatta State School was opened in 1927 for 400 pupils. By June of that year the school population had risen to 542. In 1928 there was slight drop in enrolment owing to the fact that St. Joseph's Convent School was opened in Loeven Street less than a quarter of a mile away. From then on growth was steady until 1942 when there was a drastic drop in numbers owing to the evacuation from Cairns of civilians under threat of Japanese invasion. The post-war years saw a rapid increase, particularly with the influx of so many New Australians and the mushroom growth of housing in the Mulgrave Road area. The school population reached its peak in 1957 with an enrolment of 1134 pupils. At that time and for the next few years Parramatta was the largest primary school outside of Brisbane.
Over the years several celebrations have been held, and documents have been created outlining the history of Parramatta. Copies are available electronically or available from the school.